Sunday, January 25, 2009

Skepticism or Practicing What I Teach

Each morning with the news on as we get ready for work, my husband acts as a commentator of the commentaries on the TV. Like someone reading a newspaper article aloud, sure you want to hear what they are reading, I have just grown to tolerate it, or more honestly ignore it.

This past week he has had quite the list of comments on Obama and the inauguration. He will tell you he is a voter of issues not parties, but that is not true, proven by his comments. I wish he would just get over the fact Obama is now the Commander in Chief and move on. One afternoon as we running about for errands, he engaged me in a conversation about the cost of this inauguration as compared with Bush's back in 2004. He was very persuasive, very knowledgeable and conversed with great confidence and examples to support his position. I began thinking this would be a great blog topic especially after our live blog at school on January 20th. Several students addressed the cost of the inauguration and wondered why we are still spending on the war for example, and why all that money on inauguration events?

I tend to take shortcuts and do lots of things and quickly. Needless to say, the end result is often full of mistakes only having to be done again. Preparing the discussion in my brain I decided to research the costs of inaugurations. It was only a matter of time after browsing and reading that I decided to abandon this idea--another media myth. The end result? Skepticism made me practice what I teach.

No comments: